Tuesday, September 13, 2011

We do it to ourselves

Three angles on an issue.

1) I heard today that about 30% of Americans are happy. That is, over the last 60 some odd years since they've "tested" it, consistently 30% of Americans say they are content with their lives, no matter what else may be going on, booms, busts or wars. 30%. This leads me to wonder what the other 70% are up to.

2) The biggest thing I've been hearing from people who have been working in Hollywood for any amount of time is that there are good people and there are not so good people. Luckily I am being connected with the "good" people as far as I can tell. By that I mean I don't believe I've met a "bad" person yet, i.e. the oily people you imagine when you think of Hollywood. Though I've only been here for three weeks, so I know I'll luck out soon enough if I haven't already just by saying that.

3) A young man walked into a small town and saw an old man sitting on his porch.

The young man stopped at the old man's house and said "I'm looking for a new place to live. Can you tell me what the people are like here?"

"Well, what were the people like where you was before?"

The young man grunted and said "They were all cheats and liars, that's why I left."

"Well, we got the same type here."

The young man picked up his bag and walked off to the next town. A few hours later another young man walked into town and stopped at the old man's porch to ask him the same question.

The old man again asked "What were the people like where you was before?"

The young man said "Oh, they were all really nice and considerate."

The old man said "Well, we got the same type here."

The young man smiled and settled in that town.

No comments:

Post a Comment