Thursday, September 22, 2011

Another American Chopper post

After more hours of watching American Chopper, I've found possibly the core of what I find so dang fascinating about the show. Yeah, it's a reality show that is most likely more real than most others laud themselves to be, but it is all about the relationships.

The meat of the show is that these people have spent their lives creating. They had issues, yes. Lots of them, and they still create. What is great about the series looking back at the total arc is that now, along with "the build" and the creation of functional art, they are learning how to fix something. Their relationship.

When something doesn't work fundamentally on a bike, they throw out the idea and create something else that functions specifically with that mix of parts. It's a lot harder to do that when the thing that doesn't work is a relationship. Now they have to learn how to rebuild something they spent so long building poorly.

Either that or I want to justify my TV watching so much that my art degree is kicking in and making connections that may be loose at best. Either way you read it, so there.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to post earlier and apparently was rejected... love this show, sad to watch the dynamic in their family fall apart.. I haven't watched regularly in awhile, too sad but maybe I need to try to catch up on Hulu or ondemand...nice to know I have something in common with my little brother...

    ReplyDelete