Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The power of a name

To name something is to take away its power.

Rumpelstiltskin. The Doctor's real name. Awkward moment. Irrational anger. Fear.

I have a hard time remembering names, even the names of people I've known forever or see every day, I still forget their names sometimes.

My mom talked to me about how some people say things that she doesn't like, the kind of things I hear people say and feel angry about. What does one do in that situation? How is it resolved? Ignoring it? Probably not the best option, that leads to festering. Name the effect in your own head? Acknowledging anger helps, but isn't that more like a symptom of something else? Name what just happened that led to the feeling? That one is usually difficult. Saying how negative someone else is being, it puts both the other person on the spot, and you in the fire. Though when you name it properly and justly, can the fire really burn you? Does the same angel protect you who protected Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego?

Maybe she will if you know her name. Maybe she sees that you know it in your heart.

Either way, the thing that was named has become a fixed point, and lost its ability to follow and lead you in quite the same way. Nailing a moment or feeling down with its own name; I am willing to call that power.

No comments:

Post a Comment