Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Monsters (watch it)

Pleasantly surprised.

Someone posted they had watched the movie Monsters in their facebook status and he is an intellectual, so I figured I might want to check it out. This evening when I logged into my friend's Netflix account I saw that he had watched it too...or at least 6% of it. So I figured why not.

Excellent choice. I wanted to keep watching it. Sometimes when I watch movies at home I end up doing other things. With this one I just watched it and enjoyed every moment of it. I even had to sit up more than once because I was so drawn into the moment. Some mildly thrilling moments placed throughout this one. It's a small movie about small things, with big things happening in the background. It's the kind of "monster" movie I like, one that is not about the monsters, but about the people dealing with the monsters. I also went in hoping that the title was a double entendre figuring I would be disappointed when I would inevitably figure out that it's just another low-budget movie about the effects. It had effects, but only to tell the story, not really showing them off too much. And the title? Contented with its play on language. [NOTE: if you haven't seen the movie yet, you'd be better off stopping here and watching it. There's no spoilers per se, but my experience of this film was going in blind. I think that's the best way to do it, so go watch it. Yes, you!]

That's what a real monster movie should be about, how more like the monsters we are. Not that this one did that, but it was subtle enough for me to go through the whole movie and only ponder on this note when I was done. If it surprised me, then I have to rave about it. Also, I discovered why it showed that my friend only watched 6% of the movie, because as soon as I finished it, I went back and watched the beginning just to see if what I thought was true or not.

It was.

No comments:

Post a Comment