Tuesday, October 18, 2011

McDonald's crew

Rather than spend two hours in traffic, I arrived in the Valley Village area three hours early and hungry, so I figured I would chill at the McDonald's for a couple hours and harness their free WiFi.

I stopped at the restroom first to wash my hands (warsh, for you ruralites). There was a shirtless man using the urinal, with his shirt on the counter. As I washed my hands he began giving himself a sink-bath. It must be a regular event because he didn't have an aroma aura around him like Pig Pen. Later on he sat down to charge his phone and put on a dressier shirt. Must have a job interview later or something. He carried with him a large clear plastic bag of clothes. That makes my heart do things I don't know how to handle, so let's move on.

With that I ordered and used a Monopoly game piece I found in my car, only to discover it was from last year's "game" and for some reason I did not remove it from my car the entire year.

When I sat down I was treated to a couple of teens playing guitar in the dining area. It was actually really nice to see kids use their creativity. Yep, I'm an old man. One even played a bit of classical music. Old man happy now.

(Only now do I realize how much of a people watcher I am)

Along with those groups were the other McDonald's usuals. Two cheap computer nerds (like me) in the corner. One ironically hipster, the other just old with a pony tail. There were some father/son and mother/daughter combos along with a smattering of singles. Oh, and I can't forget the diligent employee cleaning up every table and the floor and even the bench right up to where I sat. Very admirable. I imagine that's who I would be if I were a member of the McDonald's Army.

Oh yes, and the picture of Ronald McDonald on the window. Looking at that face reminds me that I know who that face belongs to (the one underneath the make-up, that is). He is a lovely director and you would never know he was a boisterous clown if you met him in daily life, but there he is, plastered on walls and windows every half mile all across the world. Could I pull off that job? It would be pretty sweet, I could still be me in real life and not have the stigma of being a spokesman, I would just also be a little rich and not likely to be mobbed like the Verizon guy.

I'm actually still here. The guy to my right has a left hand full of fries and a right hand holding his phone with Mario Brothers paused (that sound is ingrained in my being). So I guess I'm also one of the people here I am talking about. I am at peace with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment