Friday, October 7, 2011

The Big Bang Hypothesis

My roommate really enjoys the show The Big Bang Theory. I've always had issues with TV shows that use live audiences and canned laughter because they generally lean more to the side of the can than the side of actually being funny. Cue The Odd Couple music.

Over the last few days I sat down and gave the show a chance. I just finished the first season when I got an odd feeling. When asked what I thought of the show I responded that I didn't not like it. I took another moment to process my thoughts then I realized that I just liked the show. This is a new feeling for me!

It may seem odd, but I am not used to liking TV shows. I am very familiar with loving shows, but not liking them. Examples: Arrested Development, Party Down, Spaced, Firefly-all of those shows I love. Even the first couple seasons of the American version of The Office I loved. Then when Jim and Pam got together, I stopped watching because the main emotional connection I had with the show was fulfilled, so I moved on. In short, I am experienced in loving TV, but not in liking TV.

That little binary way of existing stretches into a few too many areas of my life. When it comes to relationships with women, I understand what being friends is like and I understand what being in a relationship is like, but I've forgotten how to get from the the former to the latter. Classic on/off dichotomy. Also with myself, if I am not doing something I know I'll be proud of, I just do not get excited about it. It may have something to do with the high expectations I have for myself and how I extend them into the rest of the world. As a therapist told me, instead of my extremely lofty dreams, I need reasonable, achievable goals. On that note I think discovering that it's okay to just like something is definitely a breakthrough.

Big Bang Theory is not a great show, but it's okay and touches me just enough to keep me interested. With that last sentence I would like to retract the earlier statement that this idea extends into the area of relationships...even if it was creepily accurate. Now I'm getting way too heady.

Mark the calendar, it only took me 6 weeks of living in LA to lower my standards!

1 comment:

  1. hey Vinnie!!
    I just started watching re-runs of this show w/ Mike...very very interesting and funny enough to make me go...hmmmm? who do I know who fits some of these stereotypes?? My son, for one, except he isn;t a PhD (yet,maybe)but some of the personality quirks exhibited by the fella's in the show make me roll w/ laughter...and I think we could both name a few "nerd types" we know to fit the odd mold portrayed here. miss you and love reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete